Hiring: Social Services Coordinator
Oak Park River Forest Food Pantry
Benefits Coordinator Job Description
Our Mission: Oak Park River Forest Food Pantry’s mission is to work together as a community to reduce hunger locally through
- direct hunger relief services
- hunger awareness education and
- advocacy to influence anti-hunger policy
Job Title: Benefits Coordinator
Reports To: Program Manager
Supervises: Volunteers, Interns as requested
Job Status/Salary: Full time Hourly, $16.50/hour. Eligible for benefits package.
Variable hours, including most Saturdays and occasional evening work.
Function: The Benefits Coordinator (BC) works individually with clients to connect them to SNAP (“food stamps”), and other benefits as available (Benefits Access Program, Medicaid, Illinois State ID, etc.) and makes referrals to local service agencies as appropriate for further assistance. The BC also works with local community partners to extend SNAP outreach to their eligible clientele. Finally, the BC collaborates with anti-hunger policy groups to advocate for robust safety-net benefit services for vulnerable populations.
CLIENT BENEFITS COORDINATION
- Educate Pantry clients on available benefits and pre-screen those who wish to determine if application for benefits is appropriate
- Perform individual assessments to determine client resource needs
- Assist eligible clients in obtaining SNAP, Benefits Access Program, etc.
- Make follow up calls to clients who request SNAP assistance at Pantry food distribution registration
- Troubleshoot problems with failed applications and assist clients in following up with revisions
- Prepare monthly report on clients served and referred to other agencies
- Train volunteers or interns on SNAP application procedures, allowing them to process preliminary applications or screenings for clients
- Communicate regularly with volunteers to determine SNAP application status
- Conduct SNAP Outreach clinics/services at off-site locations, including follow up as directed.
- Oversee the reconciliation of NowPow client referrals to our different programs from healthcare systems.
- Research and keep updated on benefit regulations and changes at a local, state and federal level.
- Attend Community Quality Council meetings at local DHS offices
- Attend Greater Chicago Food Depository trainings as directed by Supervisor.
- Attend Illinois Hunger Coalition meetings
- Participate in annual Anti-Hunger conference in Springfield if directed
- Engage in continuing education on hunger relief policy at both the state and federal level, particularly those policies related to nutrition programs (SNAP, WIC, etc.)
- Prepare client informational flyers and posters as needed and ensure sufficient supplies for distribution
- Maintain flexibility with time, tasks and priorities
- Meet with community partners to determine best methods of coordinating benefits for mutual clients (PADS, Oak Park Township, etc.)
- Pursue a program of professional self-development, including selected readings, seminars, and workshops
- Assume additional responsibilities as necessary or to accomplish the purpose and goals of the Pantry including orientation and cross-training in the Pantry distribution area
- Client-focused and dedicated to mission of ending hunger in our community
- College Degree or two years of relevant experience preferred
- Bi-lingual skills (English/Spanish) are a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Comfortable with Microsoft Office and database utilization (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- Must be a team-player and detail-oriented
- Ability to work under pressure and with a wide variety of people
Environment: Multi-level work area: administrative offices/work space not fully accessible to the mobility impaired. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Workplace is a smoke- and drug-free environment. Equal opportunity employer.
Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by February 19th.