Hunger Action Month
Take action this September during Hunger Action Month. This year, we've compiled a list of 5 ways you can take tangible steps to help end local hunger.
1. Make a Donation
Making a monetary or in-kind donation is one of the easiest things you can do to help end local hunger. For every $1 we are able to provide 3 meals to people struggling with hunger. If you feel like going the extra mile, consider hosting a food drive at your school, church, or office.
Oak Park residents can do this during the Hockey Check Hunger Food Drive on September 23rd.
2. Attend an Action Event
During the month of September there are 4 local events you can participate in to support Oak Park River Forest Food Pantry.
9/7 Hunger Action Happy Hour
9/16 32nd Annual Hunger Walk
9/24 Ham Bingo
- 6:00pm bingo starts
- Hamburger Mary's & Oak Park Brewing Company
- 155 S. Oak Park Ave, Oak Park, IL
- Raffle ticket proceeds benefit Oak Park River Forest Food Pantry
9/26 Hunger Panel
- Oak Park Library, Dole Branch
- 255 Augusta St, Oak Park, IL
4. Learn About Hunger
Get a glimpse into what it's like to live on the edge of food security and poverty in America with these hand-selected staff favorite books, movies, and audio series.
- Evicted: Poverty & Profit in the American City by Matthew Desmond
- $2 a Day: Living on Almost Nothing in America by Kathryn Edin
- A Place at the Table, documentary
- Uncertain Hour, podcast series by NPR's Marketplace
- Busted: America's Poverty Myth, Audio series by WNYC's On the Media
- Extreme Poverty in America, Travis Smiley, PBS
5. Take the SNAP Challenge
Join Food Pantry staff as we take the Food Stamp Challenge to experience the daily realities of many of our clients.
For each day you participate in the challenge, you are challenged to spend no more than $4.18/person/day. For the duration of a week this amounts to $29.26 or $20.90 for the work week. This should include all food and drink (yes, coffee and tea count!!). Spices and condiments do not count towards this total (bring on the hot sauce!).